Thursday 8 November 2012

Too Many Books to Read!

Today, a new shipment of books arrived at my office: Mark David Hall's Roger Sherman and the Creation of the American Republic, Les Standiford's Desperate Sons: Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, John Hancock, and the Secret Bands of Radicals Who Led the Colonies to War, and an older book edited by Peter Isaac and Barry McKay entitled, The Human Face of the Book Trade: Print Culture and Its Creators. Two days ago James Raven's The Business of Books: Booksellers and the English Book Trade, Robert Arner's Dobson's Encyclopaedia: The Publisher, Text, and Publication of America's First Britannica, 1789-1803, Richard Beeman's The Varieties of Political Experience in Eighteenth-Century America came by post, and on its way is Lisa Smith's The First Great Awakening in Colonial American Newspapers: A Shifting Story.

As much I would like to read these books, I just started a book that I will be reviewing for Books & Culture. I had been hoping to write a review of Paul Gutjahr's Charles Hodge: Guardian of American Orthodoxy on ESRH, but I can't seem to find the time to finish the book. I started it on my day of travel to the Conference on Faith and History meeting at Wenham a few weeks ago, and have read about 75% of the book, but had to put it down in order to complete my other tasks. Now, I'm not sure when I can get to it since my first priority is to finish the manuscript of Early Evangelicalism: A Reader and my forthcoming review article. I don't want to complain too much about the pile of books accumulating in my office. Being paid to read and write is a wonderful blessing!

           

No comments: