Tuesday 22 January 2013

New Course on Jonathan Edwards

It's hard to believe, but it is already time to put requests in for courses that I will be teaching next fall at UTC. Initially, I thought that I would offer a course on Global Christianity, and so I spent the bulk of my Christmas break reading books by Philip Jenkins, Lamin Sanneh, and Miriam Adeney. But after reading on this topic, I realized how much of a significant undertaking it would be to design such a course in light of my current research plans and other teaching responsibilities.

I ultimately decided to offer a course that I've entitled, "Jonathan Edwards's Life, Thought, and Legacy in American Religious Culture." I plan on using George Marsden's Jonathan Edwards: A Life; A Jonathan Edwards Reader, edited by John Smith, Harry Stout, and Ken Minkema; and Joseph Conforti's Jonathan Edwards, Religious Tradition, and American Culture. I may also add Gerald McDermott's and Michael McCylmond's The Theology of Jonathan Edwards if I determine that it would not be too much to integrate this book into the class.

I'm excited to teach a course on Edwards. I have been working on a research project on Edwards, and so I hope that such a course will help me flesh out some of my ideas.

2 comments:

Brian Franklin said...

Sounds terrific! Wish I could sit in. I hope I'll get to teach such a course some day.

Exploring the Study of Religious History said...

Thanks Brian. Hopefully, the students will enjoy the course.