Saturday 7 November 2015

Christian Road Signs

In my class on "Religion in Southern Culture," we are reading Charles Reagan Wilson's Judgment and Grace in Dixie: Southern Faiths from Faulkner to Elvis. We recently read as a class chapter 5 on "Southern Religion and Visionary Art," which includes a section on Christian iconography and road signs.

There are a lot of good examples on the web of Christian road signs that we looked at as a class. We talked about how effective these signs were, and whether they could be found in urban and rural areas in the South. I wondered, for instance, how frequent one might find Christian signs in a larger southern city like Chattanooga. Yesterday, one day after our class, my wife and I were driving home from eating lunch in Brainerd (a neighborhood in Chattanooga), and I saw the sign from a local burger joint pictured below.




No comments: