Saturday 24 March 2012

San Antonio Rocks!


I'm currently in San Antonio for the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies annual conference. I gave a paper yesterday in a session on "Varieties of Enlightenment in Scotland and America."

Admittedly, I wasn't all that excited to go to the ASECS conference at first because most of the papers are on topics pertaining to English literature and political science as opposed to history and religion. However, some of the papers were very interesting. The biggest surprise for me was San Antonio itself. What a beautiful city! The Hyatt Regency, which hosted the conference, is situated on the city's Riverwalk, which has a number of shops and restaurants. The scene reminded me of walking along Ocean Blvd. at Miami's South Beach.

After giving my paper, I went and saw Hunger Games at a nearby movie theater, and--bonus--Hard Rock Cafe, which is across the street from my hotel, sponsored a free outdoor concert for the city featuring the bands, Everclear and The All-American Rejects. About 5,000 people attended.

Thank you San Antonio!

No comments: